Saturday, September 25, 2010

Second Half of My Week

Everyone knows that life is full of ups and downs. This week was full of ups and downs. For example, Wednesday I got to leave school early because in France Wednesdays are half-days. However when I came came home I didn't do a whole bunch other than resting in my room. Thursday I went and visited a beautiful medival city. Friday I went to school and it was beyond rough because I have only a few people who talk to me there.

Let me start with Wednesday. Wednesdays my classes include two hours of gym class and then two hours of a class that has no American counterpart. The second class is for the students to prepare a huge oral presenation for the huge test at the end of the year. That would be all fine and dandy, but I am not taking the test at the end of the year, the BAC test, so I sit in the class and hang out for two hours while every other student is busily working. I usually spend my time in this class by writing letters or working on homework for my other classes. That usually works out just fine. After school, I got home and had a delicious lunch and then went to my room to do my homework. Thats all for Wednesday!

Thursday...hmm. Alright. Teachers in France are never content. The teachers have already protested two times in a little over a month. That is crazy! I don't really know what they are protesting. All I know is that I get school off to do whatever. Thursday I went to the Medival town called  Carcasonne. It was breath taking. I felt like I was looking at a page in a fairy tale book. I had no idea that towns like those in fairy tales could be just as beautiful in real life! I had a great time exploring the town, the churches, and the ramparts. I even had a picnic in this beautiful town.
Friday meant I had to go back to school, which I don't enjoy as much as going to visit Medival towns. School is rough for me right now. I have one really good friend and three or four people who smile at me in the hallway. Being in a country at my age in a high school in a small town where the children have all grown up knowing each other is really hard. Making friends is diffifult because no one really wants to change the way they have been for their whole life. I understand that, but I wish that people would be a tad more friendly. My history teacher is not my favorite person. I have decided that he and I are not going to be good pals. However when he teases me in front of my class because I don't understand the lesson everytime, I get frusterated. I think the best part of the school day is lunch. The food in the cafeteria is just as good as some of the resteraunts in the US. I wish that this is how good the food was in my school in the US! Oh, I have an A in English class so that is a relief! I am glad that I know my own language. Now I have to focus on my French!

Today I woke up and finally got a chance to sit down and talk to one of the Rotary club members for the first time. We discussed what I should be expecting in my visit. All I can say is that Rotary in France is WAY different than in the US. I ran a few errands with my host mom too. Getting out of the house is something I love doing.

                                           Here are a few pictures of Carcasonne! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.