Thursday, September 2, 2010

Signed Up for School

The term "thoughly exhausted" is now a term I use frequently to describe how I feel. During the first few days of my stay, it was hard to fall asleep and hard to get up. Now its really easy to fall alseep and stay asleep until noon! School starts tomorrow (Friday) and I don't know how I will be able to drag myself out of bed at the early hour of seven.

A few days ago I met the President of my Rotary club here in my town.  He is very nice and helpful. He helped me get registered for school. He invited me to play golf with him at a course close to the town. Wow! Playing golf in France will be great.

 Its hard to call my new school a school. It is a very large Spanish villa looking building from the 17th century.  I guess I can't complain about getting up early if I get to go learn in there! I will be taking Spanish, French, English, Philosophy, Math, a class about French literature, a theatre class, and a French history class. In France, high schoolers have to choose what they ultimatly what they want their career will be the day they enter as a 9th grader.  They get to choose the Scientific path, the Economic path, or the Literary path. Those that choose science most likely will be doctors, economic students might work at a bank, and literary students might be a language professor.  The school recommeds the Literary path to exchange students because the classes involve learning about French history, authors, and culture. French schools operate more like universities do in the United States. Students don't have the same schedule everyday.  Its more of a block schedule. The downside is that school goes from 8am to 6pm and Wednesday afternoons are off. Oh and did I mention the 2 hour lunch break? I don't think it will be too unbearable.

So far I have:
-Slept
-walked through the mountains with my host mother
-went shopping
-practiced golf
-went to a party with some of my host brother's friends
-watched some movies
-relaxed
-had some delicious French food like Galettes, Croq Monsieurs, fresh baguettes, French cheese, crepes...
-registered for school

** I have added some pictures of my room and the view from my window. There is a pasture in front of the house where horses and donkeys graze.  Hopefully it worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.