Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Second Chances


First of all, I would like to thank a few people who have helped me get through some tough time these past months. Exchanges don't go perfectly and anyone that has ever been an exchange student will tell you the same thing. Everyone has their perfectly wonderful days and they also have awful days where they wish they could click their ruby slippers three times and head home. These past two weeks have been full of each type of these days. My lovely mother, sister, friends, my Rotary buddies, and of course  my boyfriend have helped me realize that I can get through this year and really benefit from everything that I am learning.

The title,"Second Chances," refers my Fall vacation and my relationships with people. Don't worry. You will understand by the time I am done blabbing about my life here. Let us get started, shall we?

The first "Second chance" applies to my Rotary counselor here. At the beginning of my year here things were really really rough. As many of you know, I come from a fairly large town that has my favorite things to do, my car, and the essence of home. Being thrown into a town that doesn't even have movie theater can be a little unnerving for someone who is used to liberties that I don't have here. I can't go anywhere without someone driving me there, I can't go hang out with my friends whenever I feel like it. Oh and Starbucks is missing me a lot. After I started going to school my frusterations didn't get any better and I didn't have much luck with making friends. Lets just say I was ready to move on to bigger things. When I talked to my Rotary counselor at the time, he pretty much told me that I was going to be in this town for my whole exchange and I had better get used to the idea. Needless to say, he didn't win a place on my favorite people list. He and I were not what you might call "Buddies." When my host family told me that I would be staying with him for four days while they went hunting, I was not exactly extatic. Not at all. However, I actually really enjoyed my time with him and his family. He and his family remind me of my own and I loved being apart of it for a few days. I went golfing on a beautiful golf course, I learned how to make terimisu, I had dinner at another Rotary family's house, and I went to the Rotary District's Govenor's Dinner. At the dinner my second host family told me that I will probably go with them to Austria over winter break and I was invited to spend a weekend with a Rotary family that I know! That is one reason why "Second chances" have played a big part of these past few weeks. I know can't wait to spend more time with my Rotary conselor and his family!
Now for second change number two. I knew full well that after my days with my counselor I would have to head up to a wedding in the country. The woman that was getting married is a cousin of my host family. I can't believe that my host family has 25 cousins! I headed up to the town Wednesday afternoon. I was picked up by two of the cousins at the train staion. Meeting new people usually makes me happy, but when you aren't talked to during a two hour car ride things can get a little sad. Talking about my country, and more importantly their country, is something I enjoy. We arrived at the house, more like a country mansion, to help prepare the wedding. The bride's mother was ill, so my host mom voulenteered to help out because the after part was at the house. Naturally I had to help too. Believe me, when I got there all I wanted to do was crawl in a hole and not be bothered. Thats pretty much what I did. I went in a room by myself and watched movies in French. Do you know what? It really didn't make me any happier. Being with people is what makes you happier. Talking to people is what helps get someone used to a new situation. That evening I slinked downstairs for dinner and people talked to me and were actually interested in what I had to say. I know that being with people is the only real way I am going to learn everything that I want to know. Sitting alone in a room is not going to help me get there. For the next days after that I had a lot of fun helping prepare the wedding. The wedding was a lot of fun as well. During the days following my arrival, I got to know the girls that picked me up a little better. Not that we are best friends, but we all have a better understand of each other. Thats why it was a second chance. First impressions are not the lasting impressions. There are always ways to change.

Fall break ended yesterday, so today ment back to school for me. I actually enjoy school because its a way for me to have a familiar pattern during the week. It was nice to see my friends again.

Dear Grandma Pat,
I would love to let you know that I throughly enjoy each card I get from you. It is one of the highlights of my week. I do try to mail you letters, but do to the very unreliable postal service here I can only send them on rare occasions. Tomorrow I think the post is open and I am going to send you a letter! I love you!

For you all: Here are a few pictures of the mountains in Andorra (Pyrenees) and my after school snacks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.