Saturday, October 23, 2010

Protests...Times Ummm..I Lost Count

Well, hello again everyone! Maybe I should say "Bonjour!" This past week I went to school a total of two times. Monday and Wednesday were the only days where the students didn't barricade the school building. They call it a "blocus", but I call it "A great day so Amelia doesn't have to go to school."

Monday I had to go to school. Mondays aren't too terrible. I go to school at nine and I finish at four. After school, I went to a perfume store with my friend Antoine and we spent about an hour just sniffing wonderful fragrances. In French perfume stores, they have little jars with coffee beans that you are supposed to smell to clear your senses for the next fregrance. I thought that was pretty clever. It works too! That way you don't get caught up in all the smells.

On Tuesday, I hung out with my buddy, Sophie, because they students at our school blocked the doorways and were protesting. Believe it or not, the principal and the teachers encourage the students to protest! I though it was very different when my Spanish teacher. on Monday, spent thirty minutes telling us her point of view on the retirement age and telling the students to exercise their right to protest. My day was productive. I slept until almost noon and then my friend came over. We just talked and had a great time.

Wednesday I went to school again, but I went an hour late. Did you know that during a national protest the entire country practically shuts down? The post office, the gas stations, the supermarkets, the trains, the buses, and pretty much everything else close down. It was scary for awhile becuase no one knew when the gas stations were going to reopen. Just to clarify, the protest is a protest about the proposed elevation of the retirement age. NOT becuase France is running out of fuel. Someone told me thats what people at my school in the US think. France has gas. No worries! I went to school late because my host mom only wanted to make one trip to the school for my host brother and me.

Thursday was so very fun. Another protest meant that Sophie got to come back over. I made pancakes and taught her some very American things. For example, the Chicken Dance, Head Shoulders, Knees, and Toes, and If Your Happy and You Know It. It was quite amusing. Oh! I learned how to build a fire too. I was really cold becuase when I woke up the house was 42 degrees. When duty calls, creativity begins. I had never built a fire before, but I figured it out. I don't know if I have mentioned it, but I live in a 1700's house and it only has a fire place for heat. Thats why I wanted to light a fire.

Friday I got to go to Andorra again with my host mom and her friend. It was really fun! Oh yes there was another protest at school, so thats why I could go. I didn't buy very much even though I wanted too. Perfume, jewelery, and clothing are all 30-50% less than in France. Its too great. I want to buy everything!

Today is Saturday and in about an hour I will be going to my Rotary counselor's house to spend five days while my host family hunts. Hopefully it will be fun! After the counselor's house, I am going to a wedding with my host family and that should be really fun. If I don't answer your emails and such, it is because I will be really busy! This weekend and the following week are Fall break. In France, there is a break every six weeks! Its quite nice.

Have a great weekend and I will write as soon as I am able!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.