Well, it has been more than a month since I have written on my blog. I figure I should probably update you all so you know that I am still alive and having a great time in France! This past month, I have traveled, seen new things, visited very old castles, had some vacation, been dancing, and I have gone to school.
I will recount all my adventures as chronologically as possible. The first thing that I did, which was more than a month ago, was have two weeks of vacation. I finished out a normal week of school then I had my vacation. My “Spring Break” consisted of relaxing, walking around, bike rides, reading in French, and I had a fun movie party with my friends in the city who are also exchange students. I don’t get to see them very often, so it was fun to see them. We watched “Grease” in French and then a French film called “18.”
One weekend during vacation, my host family and I went to a very old castle. Each time I visit a castle, I wish I could see what it looked like when it was built. This particular castle was built to survey the border of France and Spain. Many of the castles that I have seen were built on big hills. That way they were protected from intruders. This also makes visitors in present day have to hike up the hill.
What else have I done…hmmm…Oh, I went dancing with some of my friends one evening. One of my friends had an operation and we were celebrating his recovery.
There is a military base close to me and a friend and I have gone there to work out every once and a while. It is fun because in the evenings it is just civilians who work out. Last time I was running and the lady next to me was explaining how to make a cake. Its nice to get some exercise. Maybe I can get rid of my exchange student weight before I come home!
It is probably a good thing that I have started going to a gym. The other day, a friend and I made truffles. Homemade truffles are not so hard to make, but they are so delicious. All that is in them is dark chocolate, butter, cream, and cocoa.
A few weeks ago, I got to go see a lovely new country and city! Some of my American friends went to Barcelona and I got the opportunity to go visit them with my host family. Spain is a beautiful country. Barcelona was such a treat to visit and it was wonderful to see my American friends! It is close to the sea and while I was there it was sunny. While I was there I saw a monastery called Montserrat. In the main church in Montserrat, the Black Madonna is on display. It was really interesting to get to see her in person. Barcelona is home to many of the works of the architect, Gaudi. His buildings are known for their original designs. The City Museum was interesting as well because it talked about what happened before the modern city of Barcelona grew. We also visited a castle and got to see some lovely views of the city. One night we saw some famous fountains that are choreographed to music. The food in Barcelona is really good as well. Paella is delicious.
This past week, nothing too exciting has happened. The students in my grade had to give a very important oral project. All of my friends are very glad that its over now. Yesterday was “April Fool’s Day” in the US, but in France it is called “Poisson d’Avril!” That means “The Fish of April.” Little kids tape paper fish to people’s backs. The goal is that the person doesn’t notice and has a fish on their back for a while. I had some snazzy fish stickers to put on people at school. Students in high school don’t do the fish, but I wanted to do it. Tonight, I am going to a dinner at my first host families house. It will be great to see them again. It will be my host family, my first host family, and two Rotary families. I am sure it will be fun!
I will recount all my adventures as chronologically as possible. The first thing that I did, which was more than a month ago, was have two weeks of vacation. I finished out a normal week of school then I had my vacation. My “Spring Break” consisted of relaxing, walking around, bike rides, reading in French, and I had a fun movie party with my friends in the city who are also exchange students. I don’t get to see them very often, so it was fun to see them. We watched “Grease” in French and then a French film called “18.”
One weekend during vacation, my host family and I went to a very old castle. Each time I visit a castle, I wish I could see what it looked like when it was built. This particular castle was built to survey the border of France and Spain. Many of the castles that I have seen were built on big hills. That way they were protected from intruders. This also makes visitors in present day have to hike up the hill.
What else have I done…hmmm…Oh, I went dancing with some of my friends one evening. One of my friends had an operation and we were celebrating his recovery.
There is a military base close to me and a friend and I have gone there to work out every once and a while. It is fun because in the evenings it is just civilians who work out. Last time I was running and the lady next to me was explaining how to make a cake. Its nice to get some exercise. Maybe I can get rid of my exchange student weight before I come home!
It is probably a good thing that I have started going to a gym. The other day, a friend and I made truffles. Homemade truffles are not so hard to make, but they are so delicious. All that is in them is dark chocolate, butter, cream, and cocoa.
A few weeks ago, I got to go see a lovely new country and city! Some of my American friends went to Barcelona and I got the opportunity to go visit them with my host family. Spain is a beautiful country. Barcelona was such a treat to visit and it was wonderful to see my American friends! It is close to the sea and while I was there it was sunny. While I was there I saw a monastery called Montserrat. In the main church in Montserrat, the Black Madonna is on display. It was really interesting to get to see her in person. Barcelona is home to many of the works of the architect, Gaudi. His buildings are known for their original designs. The City Museum was interesting as well because it talked about what happened before the modern city of Barcelona grew. We also visited a castle and got to see some lovely views of the city. One night we saw some famous fountains that are choreographed to music. The food in Barcelona is really good as well. Paella is delicious.
This past week, nothing too exciting has happened. The students in my grade had to give a very important oral project. All of my friends are very glad that its over now. Yesterday was “April Fool’s Day” in the US, but in France it is called “Poisson d’Avril!” That means “The Fish of April.” Little kids tape paper fish to people’s backs. The goal is that the person doesn’t notice and has a fish on their back for a while. I had some snazzy fish stickers to put on people at school. Students in high school don’t do the fish, but I wanted to do it. Tonight, I am going to a dinner at my first host families house. It will be great to see them again. It will be my host family, my first host family, and two Rotary families. I am sure it will be fun!




No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.