Thursday, October 7, 2010

Goodness Gracious!

Alrighty. I have so much to share with you all today! So much has happened (like always) and I can't wait to tell you! Everyday here teaches me a lesson of some kind. This week I learned a few. I guess I should start with the most difficult lessons first.

For everyone's information, if you send large and heavy packages to other countries, make sure you claim the contents as not very expensive. My mother graciously tried to send me a package with my North Face, brownie mix, gum, cough medicine, and some clothes. Apparently something was too "expensive" so the package could not be left at the post office for me to pick up. A guy called the "Deliverer" tried to deliver the package twice, but apparently I was at school. Huh? So I guess he thought that after a few tries he would just ship the package back to the US. Great. So now my mom has to re send the package and claim it as less "expensive." This also means paying again and me waiting another week and a half to cure this outrageous cough of mine. Thank you French postal people. I really appreciate your help.

The second lesson that I have learned while being here is that French people, in general, protest all the time! Due to not being at school yesterday for reasons I will explain in a moment, I was looking forward to seeing my friends. BUT no. The students had blocked the entrance due to a national strike. A ton of students were in front of the school with signs, loud music, and lots of screaming. The reason they are upset and protesting is that the president here wants to raise the retirement age from 60 to 69. Its not sitting to well with a lot of people and especially the teachers. They looked more than happy to not have to teach! I have posted some pictures of the event this morning.

Yesterday, I learned a really great lesson. Modeling has never been something that I planned on doing, but under the circumstances, I got to try it out! My friend, Sophie, was asked by a photographer if she could take pictures of her for a new album she was working on. Sophie asked if I could come along. I didn't really expect the photographer to take picutres of me, but she did! We went to the beach yesterday and took some really interesting picutres. Yes, I skipped school to go to the beach and take pictures. Learning the language and culture in school is good, but getting out in the country helps you learn even more. The photographer did our makeup, hair, and she chose our clothes. I didn't think that everything would come together as well as they did! If you would like to see the photos then please email me or look at them on Facebook!:) I am trying not to post picutres on my blog of myself due to a lack of security on the site. I had a really great time and I definatly got out of my comfort zone. I am thinking about asking her to do my "Senior pictures" while I am here in France! I posted some picutres that I took of the beach.

This week so far has been really good. Well except for the package not getting to me. Oh well! I think that I am starting to feel better at school and I think the town is starting to be better too. I can't believe that I have already been here for more than a month! It is going fast! Once again, thank you for reading my blog. I really appreciate everyone staying connected with me this way. Its easier, I think. Feel free to email me or add me on Facebook if you have anything you want to ask or say!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.